The UK Consult | Human-centred public consultation
Welcome to the UK Consult
Welcome to the UK Consult, our occasional ramble through all things related to public consultation and citizen engagement in the UK. We’ll have special guests and lovely examples of online public consultation from around the world!
In this episode, Jonno’s feature topic is human-centred public consultation and how it might affect the humanisation of the public consultation process. We also have our shout out, the tool of the month, and a new segment: the stat of the month (an homage to Stato). Plus, in the absence of a special guest, Wilson the tortoise makes his (or her) debut.
This episode will cover human-centred public consultation, a shout out to the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham, and much more!:
- Feature Topic. What can we learn from human-centred design? What are your thoughts on applying concepts like direct engagement, context of use, and evaluation to the design of consultation projects? Do participant personas have more of a role to play? And much, much, more.
- Shout Out Hammersmith and Fulham and their new(ish) site Have Your Say has a great call to action and an excellent explanation for why people should register.
- Special Guest. In the absence of a special guest, Wilson the tortoise stands in. Please let us know if you would like to be our special guest in a future episode by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tool of the month. Kingston Council’s use of the ideas tool in their project focusing on community parks. Great job Kingston Upon Thames council!
- Stat of the month. A new segment where we’ll highlight an impressive stat, in homage to Stato.
Jonno goes through a range of emotions about the Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities consultation campaign that makes some big promises about public engagement, but (so far) fails to go beyond a survey. #NotAnotherSurvey
All this in one episode! Grab a cake and a coffee and take your time with this bumper episode of public consultation goodness.
Duration: 22 min
Jonathan Bradley is Head of Business and Practice at Granicus Experience Group (GXG) UK. He is also a Fellow of The Consultation Institute and is a Co-founder of Participate UK, the UK’s first public consultation and community engagement agency.