GDPR – Your chance to get up to speed with the new regulation
Hopefully “GDPR” is already on your radar, but if this is the first you’ve heard of it, don’t worry, but do keep on reading since the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is something everyone will need to understand in order to avoid breaking the law come 25 May 2018. Sounds a way off, right? But there’s much to prepare, and there are some great opportunities coming up over the next few weeks for you to learn the basics.
If you are feeling confused or concerned about the introduction of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) next year, do not feel alone. There are some wonderful people out there who are carefully dissecting the issue and preparing to share the “what, when, why, how and who” with you – in simple terms.
There are two free learning opportunities for you and your colleagues which we recommend you make time for:
1. GDPR Webinar – An Overview for Public Sector Communicators
Granicus is running a free webinar on Wednesday 16 August, 11am-12noon, in collaboration with the Centre of Excellence for Information Sharing, to provide an introduction to the GDPR. This will be a great chance to understand the basics and ask questions. You’ll hear from Holly Bremner and Imogen Heywood (from the Centre of Excellence for Information Sharing), and Dave Worsell, Managing Director of Granicus Europe who will help shed some light on some common questions, including:
- What is the GDPR and why does it matter to communications professionals?
- Will anything really change when the GDPR replaces the Data Protection Act?
- What do terms such as “personal information” and “legitimate usage” actually mean?
- Is the GDPR just about data protection or is there more to it?
- What do we do with our current data – do we need to start all over again?
- What impact will it have on me, my communications team, and my organisation?
- What impact will the GDPR have on our approach to service reform and engagement?
*GDPR – Tell us what you know so far*
Holly, Dave and Imogen would like to gauge the general level of understanding of the GDPR in public sector comms circles, since this will help them pitch the webinar just right and make it as useful as possible. If you have a spare few minutes, please could you complete this short questionnaire?
2. Granicus Annual Public Sector Communications Conference
On 26 September, hundreds of public sector folk – from comms, digital, business transformation, customer services, IT, web, traded services, and programme leaders – will meet in central London for Granicus’ annual comms conference (#UKComm17), along with a handful of pros from the charity and private sector.
The programme will address some of the current challenges in public sector communications, and will include a dedicated session on the GDPR and the implications and opportunities for communicators. You’ll be able to ask more questions and find out how other organisations (central gov’t and local) are preparing for the new regulation.
Other talks will leave you with a shed load of ideas and examples of good practice to take back to your team on a variety of topics, including:
- cyber security
- the need to give “digital” a voice at “the top table”
- accelerating income generation
- channel shifting to save money and time
- engaging citizens to change behaviour
- emergency and crisis comms
- digital advertising
#UKComm17 is a free event moderated by Darren and Dan from comms2point0 (fun!); you can book your place here. Hope you and your colleagues can make it!
Snapshot of #UKComm16
Any questions, please get in touch with the Granicus team @GranicusUK, firstname.lastname@example.org and check out our guides, case studies and other resources for digital government.